Thursday, June 30, 2005

home

I have an address! A home!

Yesterday and today, mommy and I went house/apartment-hunting in Hancock and the neighboring town of Deposit. Yesterday ran a dry spell except for a perfectly hideous 4-bedroom house whose rent was incredibly cheap ($475/month for a HOUSE!), but whose carpet was pink and whose walls were either swimming-pool blue or dingy fake wood paneling. It did have 3 porches, though. Today I looked at 2 apartment places. The first was in Hancock, a mere block from my job (I could see school out my window - blargh), and I had my choice of an upstairs or downstairs 4-room place with kitchen and bath. The upstairs one was acceptable, and actually quite nice, but it was SO close to school. I thought I could deal with it if I had to, but I wanted to see what Deposit had to offer.

So I arrived in Deposit. Beautiful, big, old white house with light blue shutters and a large front porch for sitting. Hanging plants and a wreath on the door (joy!). I went in and met the very friendly, slightly old-ish landlord and landlady. Then we saw the place. Ohhh, love. First, the rooms are huge. Granted, there's only a kitchen, living room, bathroom, and bedroom, but they're HUGE. High ceilings, because it's a (drumroll please) Historical House. My entryway lets you into a closed-in porch-ish thing that is actually adjacent to the kitchen, with a partial dividing wall in between. The kitchen? Huge. Painted entirely, pure white. Immaculate. Cute little cabinets for everything imaginable. I have to buy my own stove and fridge, but that means I'll be able to keep them forever. The living room and bedroom have high ceilings and walls covered in real wood paneling with intricate little carvings all over them. The living room's walls are painted white, but tastefully so. The bedroom is still its natural stain. Also in the living room is this beautiful amazing perfect little china cabinet built into the wall. I have no china, so I think I'll just put other stuff in it. Glass doors, so I can put my pretty books on display. Joy!

The drawbacks:
one closet in the whole place. And it's small and a utility closet.
I have to buy my own stove and refrigerator.
The carpet is green.
The rent is higher than any other 1-bedroom I've seen, but a lot less than Philly, for more floor space.
The bathroom is kind of not perfect... but it is acceptable.

The advantages:
Utilities are included.
It is such a beautiful house!!!
It's more space than I've ever had before.
I can CHOOSE my appliances, and if I want a gas stove, by golly I can have one, because the kitchen is set up for both.
To make up for lack of closet, the landlords put a wardrobe in the bedroom that's quite nice.
The lady before me was incredibly, amazingly clean, so the appartment is amazingly clean.
The kitchen and living room are SOOOOO cute.
Safe neighborhood.
Privacy; it's 10 miles from school, so I can keep work at work and home at home.
Green is better than pink.
I have my own parking place, off the street. (all other places were on-street parking.)
I can use the big ole porch for reading and watching the world go by. And maybe guitar-ing.
It's cable-ready.
Lots of outlets, and up-to-date wiring.
On-site landlords who have a dog.
No-smoking building (a plus for Emily).

Oh yeah, and the biggest advantage of all? I walked into it and felt at home. The most important, and best, part.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Go for it, girl - that is an awesome-sounding home. As I was reading, I could picture you in there . . . It is perfect for you! :)

And just for the record - I miss you!!! We shall have to visit sometime over the summer, before you get started teaching and I get started on my fall work/workshop/traveling schedule. Until then though, the phone will have to do . . . I will give you a call tonight, perhaps, or maybe tomorrow.

LOVE YOU! *big hugs*

July 01, 2005 8:58 AM  
Blogger JenniferJ said...

Yeah!!!!
I can hardly wait to see it.

July 01, 2005 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Olivia said...

Emily,
Having spent the summer of 2000 in Hancock teaching at the French Woods Festival for the Arts (summer camp) I can tell you that a little space is good. Hancock is a cute little town, but as small towns go, can be limiting as far as things to do, shopping, etc. So, living in Deposit might give you more options. Besides, now you will know two small towns very well, not just one!

One last thing...the Hancock Catholic Church does hold a special place in my heart. They had a great priest there in 2000, and hopefully he is still there. His name is Brian I believe. Great homilies!

July 01, 2005 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Sherri said...

This sounds so beautiful, Em. Like Jess said, I can definitely picture you there, and happy there. Congrats! :)

July 01, 2005 5:22 PM  
Blogger Sonja said...

Yay for you! Sounds beautiful and marvelous and just perfect for you!

July 05, 2005 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home