Sunday, July 10, 2005

wedding

I went to a wedding on the 2nd - my friends Donnina and Jeff. It was a really sweet wedding, and a FUN reception. A casual one. In fact, the invitation says to leave the formal clothes and home and come casual. I like such ideas. We had Phil's Chicken house food (yummy in my tummy!) and a friend made the cake as a wedding gift. It was a blast. And here is the blast, as photographed by me.


The first is me and my long-time friend John. I had a crush on John from the time I first met him until sometime in college, when he finally, well... told me he likes boys better. That ended that. But I call him my husband, because people at church and other places keep asking us when we're going to get married/get together/whatever. He's one of the best friends I have. He's also in a partial tux because he was the organist for the ceremony.

And this is Beccy the cake-maker and her husband Micah. Beccy and Micah live only about 15 minutes from where I'll be living when I start my job, which means I'll have friends nearby!! I'm excited about this fact. Beccy is also one heck of an Italian cook, and so I'm going to beg her to teach me all of her secrets. Yes, that's cake all over Beccy's hands. She and Micah rounded up an army of reception-attenders to help cut and distribute the cake. It turned out to be a rather crazy, slapstick, and messy occasion.

Oh, so who's the bride and groom, you say? That's a good question. Donnina and Jeff are the bride and groom. Donnina is Italian to the max. A great cook, incredibly funny and passionate and wonderfully loud. In fact, someone in the wedding party said this: "To all of you at whose wedding Donnina has been loud and crazy and obnoxious, here's your chance for payback." My table stood up and cheered. We had a great time being crazy and loud and silly.

This is my favorite shot of D and J dancing. It's their last dance, and the sunset was coming in really nicely. Something I love about them is the way you can see that they love each other. They don't do all the demonstrative stuff like kissing in public, holding hands, etc. But there's just something about the way they interact with each other that shows that their love is really and truly genuine, unpretentious, and just awesome. I thought this picture captured that nicely.

I, too, danced the night away, despite my two and a half left feet. I danced a few times with Nei (pronounced "knee"), a singer for the wedding ceremony (hence the partial tux), and a bunch of us just danced in a circle for a while. I was proudest of when John and I did the hokey pokey, and were the ONLY adults on the dance floor - the rest were kiddies. No one photographed us (thank heaven!). I earned some respect from a handful of kids on the floor at that point. Even the little shy boy who hid from everyone except his mom smiled at me a couple times. He was cute. I wanted to take him home with me.

During the last dance, I started dancing with John, and then Nei added onto it, and after a while, we turned into this huge dancing blob. It was very, very, incredibly silly. We had the whole pavillion laughing.

Dancing with Nei was fun. I had never danced with someone who could TRULY dance until then, and it was really amazing to feel how easy it is to dance when someone else actually leads you. I had issues with the leading part at first, because, well... I had always led, because I used to only dance with people who stunk at dancing. :-P Now I want to take ballroom dancing and swing dancing classes for fun. It'd probably get me in better shape too.

I should mention that until this wedding, I had never seen Donnina in any clothes except the most casual, and couldn't really picture her in a dress. She looked fabulous. I thought her dress was perfect. And it was a wonderful time. It was easy, and genuine, and fun. No fake-pleasant conversations. Just fun with a bunch of very awesome friends.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

This made me smile. :-D I am so happy for you - it sounds like you have some amazing friends back home, and some great memories. I love the idea of dancing, but I dance like Elaine on Seinfeld ;) Oh well, I have fun trying though.

I love you, lady. *big hugs*

July 10, 2005 5:42 PM  
Blogger Sonja said...

Sounds great! And dancing is sooooo fun. I would dance every day if I could. :-)

July 11, 2005 9:46 AM  
Anonymous James said...

Looks like you've put on some weight, Em. You look good. Nice butt. *smile* Am I allowed to say that? Oh well, too late now.

July 14, 2005 12:02 PM  
Anonymous James said...

Looks like you've put on some weight, Em. You look good. Nice butt. *smile* Am I allowed to say that? Oh well, too late now.

July 14, 2005 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home