Thursday, August 25, 2005

plan Omega

Forget plans B, C, D... etc. I'm whipping up plans until I hit Z and Omega.

Got mail back from the chair of my department; I was very disappointed in the result. She made it perfectly clear that she doesn't want to help me, but will stoop to it if she has to. Her email also responds incorrectly to several points I made in mine, which tells me that she either did not read it thoroughly or did not comprehend it. I'm going with the former in my theory.

I knew I didn't trust her for some reason.

But anyway; my choices run something like this:

Plan A.B:
Stick with my old advisor this coming semester, and give it the "good ol' college try."
Cons of this plan:
- it scares me already.
- I will have to work during the year, when I am at my busiest with students and teaching.
- emotional duress is a shitty thing, and I have a feeling that a lot of it is in store.
Pros of this plan:
- there is a small chance that it would actually all get done in a year, and it would be over, now and forever, Amen.
- it would cost a maximum of about $1600, which I can swing now that I have a JOB!

Plan B.C:
Say "screw it" and start applying for summer programs and un-entroll from TU-MF (yes, the MF stands for mutha fuckah), severing all ties with them, and file for an extension of certification.
cons of this plan:
- lots and lots of New York State bureaucratic paperwork. yeeeccccch.
- it'd pry take a LOT more time to finish my M.M.
- I'd have to spend me a lot of money and go into massive debt. another yecccch.
pros of this plan:
- I just might learn something useful in the courses I'd have to (re)take.
- I'd probably be emotionally happier.
- It is possible that I could do that in North Carolina and spend the summers with JJ. (that's a biiiiig pro.)

What I have actually done since I started writing this blog many days ago is this:
I emailed my current advisor in the most professional and courteous fashion and said that I want to be as proactive and efficient as possible. So I asked her for very clear instructions and made my goals clear. Instead of saying, "you bee-yotch, you never tell us what you want in our proposals, you just revise for eons until we read your mind and get it right," I asked her if I was correct in my idea of what a proposal should contain, and I listed it. Then I asked her if it was reasonable to expect to graduate by May 2006 if I turned in good work to her weekly. That was the final thing I said.

This email serves as a litmus test. If she writes back a nasty response, I'll probably go with plan B.C. If she writes a response that indicates that she's willing to help, I'll probably go with plan A.B. I ran the email by JJ. It's courteous and polite, and it's not making unreasonable requests. My opinion is that it's simply asking her to do her job, and if she's willing to do that, but in a roundabout, un-blunt way.

So we'll see what happens. No response yet.

On a different note: I am happy here. It is comfortable, homey, and good. I like it very, very much. I will blog about more of my "small-town Amurrica" encounters soon. :)

Addendum for James: the hurry in getting my masters is because New York state requires it for teacher certification within a certain number of years, on top of a certain number of years of teaching experience. My teacher-clock is ticking.


Anonymous James said...

What's the hurry?

August 26, 2005 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Michel said...

Je souhaite que le meilleur choix dans lequel tu puisses t ' accomplir totalement te soit possible Emily . Les choses ne sont jamais simples dans l ' enseignement supérieur où il y a beaucoup de rivalités .
Brvo pour les accents .
Amitié à toi

August 26, 2005 10:51 AM  
Anonymous sherri said...

keeping my fingers crossed for you, my dear. let me know if you need an ear to bend. *hugs*

August 27, 2005 1:24 AM  
Blogger trusty getto said...

It sounds like you're decision is quite the difficult one. Hang in there. Academic types can be difficult to work with (having witnessed my wife go through a Master's and then a Ph.D).

I can't stand those "ticking clock" kind of things. I'm trying to get admitted to the Colorado bar w/o having to take the actual bar exam, which has a bunch of time-dependent rqmts. I think I'll just pull it off, though . . .

Good luck!

August 29, 2005 4:36 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

All teacher clocks are ticking, and people wonder why folks are leaving the profession in droves.

My pet peeve, when good educators are stymied by useless bureaucracy. One of the teachers on my staff is having an advisor issue right now, and I want to strangle him.

Good luck.

September 17, 2005 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home