Wednesday, December 28, 2005

2005 in review

1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before? taught in Hancock.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't even remember. Too much changed.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? no, but many got pregnant.

4. Did anyone close to you die? not that I can remember.

5. What countries did you visit? ye olde USA

6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005? self-esteem, self-love, self-assuredness, self-confidence... whatever you call that mishmash of stuff. a lack of self-hatred would be best.

7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? The Friday before Thanksgiving, because it made me realize just how precious life is.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? inspiring some of my students.

9. What was your biggest failure? B&A, my worst students. I feel I failed them.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? my stomach got all acid-refluxy, I got 3256794034.2 colds, and I needed Prozac again. But I was never unable to do my job.

11. What was the best thing you bought? my slammin' oak table. :D

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? my own, when I was able to manage my classes effectively.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? my students'. Not all of them. (do we sense a pattern here?)

14. Where did most of your money go? school clothes, food, rent, and bills.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? making an October trip to Greensboro.

16. What song will always remind you of 2005? I don't know.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? lonelier.
ii. thinner or fatter? thinner.
iii. richer or poorer? money-wise richer; home-life-wise, poorer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? focus on the good things, and be grateful.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of? wallowing in self-pity.

20. How will you be spending Christmas? with the extended family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2005? all over again, every day.

22. How many one-night stands? one, sort of. I won't call it a one-night stand as much as I'd call it a mistake that happened for a reason and put a lot of things into perspective.

23. What was your favorite TV program? NCIS and M*A*S*H

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Not so much hate, but rather loathe: B&A.

25. What was the best book you read? The Mitford series so far. I love them. But I liked a LOT of books this year, and can't even begin to remember them all.

26. What was the worst book you read? The Virgin Suicides. Not my can of Dr. Pepper. However, it's an excellent book. Just not my favorite.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery? playing my flute again. It was like reattaching a limb I hadn't realized I'd lost.

28. What did you want and get? a job

29. What did you want and not get? my masters degree

30. What was your favorite film of this year? I'm not sure. I really enjoyed Harry Potter IV though.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I went to school and did my job, and then babysat a friend's kids while she had to go to the hospital for her fiance. I was 25. Still am.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Learning how to like myself.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005? stylish schoolteacher meets college casual? I don't know. I live in grungo-clothes on the weekends/breaks but I dress for school in virtually the same idea every day: slacks and a blouse.

34. What kept you sane? Nighttime talks with JJ. She keeps me grounded.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Alan Alda.

36. What political issue stirred you the most? inclusion of special ed kids in the "regular" classroom. But that's been an issue for years.

37. Who did you miss? JJ and my great-grandmother.

38. Who was the best new person you met? Carmella and Karley and Kelly.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005: Take it one day at a time, and don't let the kids make you cry.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: (I italicized the stuff that I feel is most important)

i do it for the joy it brings
because i'm a joyful girl
because the world owes me nothing
and we owe each other the world
i do it because it's the least i can do
i do it because i learned it from you
i do it just because i want to
because I want to
everything i do is judged
and they mostly get it wrong
but oh well
'cuz the bathroom mirror has not budged
and the woman who lives there can tell
the truth from the stuff that they say
and she looks me in the eye
and says would you prefer the easy way?
no, well o.k. then
don't cry
and i wonder if everything i do
i do instead
of something i want to do more
the question fills my head
i know that there's no grand plan here
this is just the way it goes
and when everything else seems unclear
i guess at least i know
i do it for the joy it brings...
-ani difranco

4 Comments:

Blogger Bear Starfire said...

Curious, Emily,
what happened day before Thanksgiving that made you realize so much. For me, it was last monday when I had a brain tumor removed, and survived to tell about it! :) BearStarfire

December 29, 2005 1:52 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

It certainly has been an adventure for you this year, I know. But I admite your strength and perseverance - look at how far it has gotten you!!! :)

Here's to better times ahead in the New Year. *big hugs* Love and miss you!!!

December 30, 2005 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Michel said...

Voilà une bonne revue de fin d ' année , Emily .
Je souhaite que tu aies ton master l ' an prochain et que tu trouves beaucoup de satisfaction dans tes classes .
Je te souhaite une heureuse année 2006 .
Amitié à toi
Michel

December 30, 2005 1:36 PM  
Blogger Sonja said...

Good song, good survey. Like the whole entry. :-)

December 31, 2005 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home