Sunday, December 11, 2005

all-county

Yesterday I took 3 of my girls to All-County auditions. (It was supposed to be 4, but the 4th didn't show up because she was ineligible because she decided to avoid doing her English paper and thus fail English for a while and thus not be allowed to participate...)

So we drove from Hancock to Binghamton and did the auditions, and they were all angst-ridden because the judges were tough, and because they thought they hadn't done well. They did the best they could. The music was obscenely difficult (Mozart Alleluia that has this huuuuuge arpeggio melisma from F4 to G5 at a pretty quick tempo), especially for 7th graders, and even though we had practiced, they were nervous as all get-out. They were out of their element.But these three girls taught me a lot yesterday. Their clean, excited impressions of the area I grew up in were amazing.As we rounded a bend in the road (Kamikaze Curve to be exact), the old Psych Center castle came into view ( http://nysasylum.com/bia.htm ), and T exclaimed, "wow! look at that mansion! Holy cow! I want to live there!" When I explained that it was the old mental hospital building, she said, "I don't care, I'm gonna live there, it's beautiful."

They were totally fun during the auditions, and because they had been good, I decided to use my gift certificates to TGI Friday's as a treat for them. (They each had $5 for lunch, and so I told them to give me their $5, and I'd treat them for the rest since I had gift certificates.)This was clearly the fanciest restaurant they had ever been to. Their overwhelmed reaction to the menu, and their surprise at the food was amazing. It was worth it just to see the look on the one girl's face.

Sometimes I forget where my students are coming from. This day reminded me, and reminded me of how much I learn from them.

It was worth that gift certificate and more.

6 Comments:

Blogger JenniferJ said...

Hey...what about calling me to tell me you were on Kamakazie curve?

December 11, 2005 2:50 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

It's days like that when I'm glad I'm an educator.
Keep up the good work.

December 12, 2005 7:36 AM  
Blogger Sonja said...

Sweet. :-)

December 12, 2005 4:25 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

It's stories like this that truly show me what this season is all about - giving, and looking at life through the eyes of a child. Thanks for sharing, hun.

... and thank you so much for the lovely card. It is definitely the most beautiful of all the cards my dad or I have received this year, and has a very special place right on the piano. *big hugs*

I love you!

December 12, 2005 8:38 PM  
Blogger trusty getto said...

Generosity rocks !! :)

December 12, 2005 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Michel said...

Compliments aux élèves et aux maître .
Tes élèves ont bien réussi leur prestation .
Je ne sais pas ce qu ' est un " gift certificate " .
Quoi qu 'il en soit tu as offert à tes élèves de manger dans un vrai restaurant qui ne soit pas un Mac Do !!!
Amitié à toi Emily .
Michel
ps : sois prudente sur la route

December 14, 2005 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home