Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve

Today is Christmas Eve, and here my family is in Cincinnati, spending quality time with our relatives. I promise to have a make-fun-of-my-family, Thurber-esque essay upon my return to the snowy land of Upstate New York, but today is a day to be grateful.

Things I love about my family:

1. Christmas Eve. We all go to Grandpa's and unwrap presents and go crazy. It's loud, obnoxious, and fun.
2. My grandpa. He's among the nicest people that ever lived. My dad says he's pathologically nice.
3. My mom and my aunt together. They get together and bitch at each other and cuss freely, and the dynamic the two of them have is downright amazing. They're fun to watch together.
4. Uncle Pat. The coolest Uncle that ever was, who is letting me sleep in his house. He's also a M*A*S*H fan, so we are VERY compatible! He's also quietly insane; he claims that he invented bananas (originally called "yellow fatty beans" )and turned cats and dogs against each other.
5. Midnight mass at the cathedral. It's a first this year. Greg (brother) and Dad and I are going. It should be spectacularly Catholic. My kind of mass. I'll be bodaciously gorgeous and elegant in my red Thai silk shirt that Dad had made for me about 4 years ago.
6. NOT having to sleep at Grandpa and Judy's. Judy will be the main topic of my Thurber-inspired essay.
7. The accent. They say their O's and U's differently than I do (because they live here and I grew up elsewhere), and I love it. It's warm and round and comfortable.

Things I am hoping for:
1. lots of incense at the mass tonight.
2. my cousin Katie to be at Christmas Eve. (haven't seen her in years)
3. my cousin Alex to be at Christmas Eve.
4. Montgomery Inn food at some point this visit. YUM.

photos to follow, I hope.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!

2 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

Merry Christmas Emily. Enjoy your much needed break!

December 24, 2005 4:18 PM  
Blogger trusty getto said...

Didya get what you wanted?

December 29, 2005 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home