Friday, December 02, 2005

it's over

Well, concert 1 came and went. It's done.

Last night at 7 pm, I started flapping my arms and playing piano and shmoozing to the audience. At about 8:15, I was finished.

I was mostly pleased with the singing, especially my MS chorus, who acts like animals, but has an incredible amount of talent behind them.

But. the. behavior.

After the MS kids sang, they were all over the aisles during other numbers, while their parents watched passively and thought about what little darlings their children were. I was busy flapping, so I wasn't able to stop and tell some of them to sit down.

One girl was in the aisle right as I was about to sing, and at that point, I was at my wit's end. So I walked up to her and smiled very sweetly as I said, "sit down before I flunk you." Her response was an indignant "all right!" and then she huffed off to her seat. I should mention that her mother was in the front row during all this.

Brat.

But it went better than I thought it would go. I'm as proud as I can be, musically speaking.

Today they watched a tape of their concert and had to fill out a sheet about concert behavior and how they can improve musically. I will read them tonight over food with my band-director friend (in a different district). We do this often, and share the most horrific sentences with each other. It will be interesting, to say the least.

Come soon, weekend. I need you.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Meredith in Maine said...

Isn't it awful when you can sense that your students are a) running around, b) about to impale someone with their trumpet, c) snickering at the beginners ... and you are in the middle of a song and there's nothing you can do??? I am the band director, 5-12 in a small district in maine.. I know exactly what you are going through. My concert is December 13th.


Good luck, and take a deep breath! The hard part is over for a little while!

December 02, 2005 2:33 PM  
Blogger trusty getto said...

I sometimes wonder myself, who is worse, the kids or their parents !!!!

You should see some of these parents during expulsion hearings, btw ! :(

December 03, 2005 8:13 AM  
Blogger trusty getto said...

Not only do we expel, but we are required to if certain criteria are met (like weapons, drugs, etc). We still have to provide an education, but not at a school. We can send them to another alternative program, of which there are many in the area.

Kicking kids out of school is absolutely the worst aspect of school board service. It's heartbreaking.

December 04, 2005 10:49 AM  
Blogger Sonja said...

I am TOTALLY sympathetic about the bad behavior. But I'm glad the music went so well!

December 05, 2005 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home