Monday, January 23, 2006

Once a Cranie, always a Cranie.

So I'll be going back.

I got my bachelor's degree in music education from the Crane School of Music in Potsdam, NY (for those of you who don't know already). I liked it there. Sure, I bitched about it, and I swore that I'd never be ready for teaching in the real world after being there, but...

Then I went to Temple.

Thank you, Temple, for one thing: making me realize how good I had it before.

So I left Temple. I am infinitely lucky that I'm able to do this.

And then I called Crane.

Glenn Guiles, now the associate dean, once my oboe professor, got on the phone with me. And he remembered me. And he was excited to hear from me. And he listened to part of my predicament, sent me the paperwork promptly, and said that he'll look forward to seeing me in the summer. And, of course, made the obligatory three dry jokes that I actually find funny.

I am so lucky.

I know it won't be the same as it used to be. When I was there, the Commons (music school cafeteria thing) was a dark, cavernous place in which students ate. Now it looks more like a hospital cafeteria, with skylights and more space.

The green room no longer exists. I remember Thursday night jam sessions there.

Snell has non-clashing paint colors. Back when I was there, the carpet was rust-colored, the railings and doors were lime-green, and the walls in the lobby were cinderblock painted with some hybrid of dark purple and dark brown (yeccch), which was the butt of many jokes (no pun intended). Now it's pretty.

Evidently there are "posters" somewhere. I don't know where.

I wonder if the practice room that grew mushrooms still has mushrooms, or if it's been refurbished.

I'm told Andrews has a beard.

And I know it will never be the same as undergrad. I'm pretty positive the flute players are better to a degree of scariness, and that I'd never make orchestra now. People might not get it if you talk about Dr. Woy and his "dah-wahs" during clarinet tech. And I'm told Kim Wangler no longer teaches bassoon tech.

So it will be different.

But it will give me a masters degree, and I know I can count on them. Crane profs don't lie at the expense of their students. I can actually go to the dean and expect support if I think I'm being treated unfairly. Professors have regular office hours and are actually in their offices more than just their office hours.

Oh yeah, and they actually care about teaching, too.

I'm looking forward to this.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sonja said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for you!

January 23, 2006 1:08 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yay for you, honey!

It's funny, I was just thinking about Crane the other day. I was doing some cleaning and found a whole bunch of programs from our sophomore year there - the chamber orchestra tour, Goodwill Games, Mr. Stephan's last concert, etc. Good times.

Even though I can honestly say that I wouldn't want to go back to get my degree there (undergrad or otherwise - no hard feelings towards it, North Country just isn't the right place for me), I know how much doing this means to you - I'm so happy for you!!! Hey, while you're up there, maybe I can plan a visit sometime and you and Marsha and I can go out and have tea at the Fields. ;)

Let's catch up sometime soon, ok? I miss you tons!

Lots of love and hugs!!!

January 24, 2006 7:31 AM  
Blogger trusty getto said...

Nifty-o! I'm an Obie, but I won't be teaching any music to anybody anytime soon, except perhaps my daughters.

Good luck !

January 24, 2006 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home