Wednesday, February 01, 2006

my songs.

Trusty Getto tagged me with this. Oddly enough, my 5th graders are doing it too for general music class. They have to pick 5 songs, give me the title and the artist, and tell me why it is important for their lives. Here are some of my songs.

1. "You Are Mine" by David Haas
This is JJ's and my song. JJ brought me back to church, in a way, and this is one of my favorite worship songs. It also describes a lot of the dynamic that the two of us have had through time.
I will come to you in the silence,
I will lift you from all your fear.
You will hear my voice,
I claim you as my choice.
Be still and know I am here.
I am hope for all who are hopeless,
I am eyes for all who long to see.
In the shadows of the night
I will be your light
Come and rest in me.
Do not be afraid, I am with you.
I have called you each by name.
Come and follow me;
I will bring you home.
I love you and you are mine.

There are two more verses, but the first section of the song is what gets me most.


2. "Sweetest Decline" by Beth Orton

My friend Joe put this on a CD mix for me while I was in Philly. It's a beautiful song. The first Friday night that I went out with some people from school and made some new friends, this song was playing on the radio. I can still see driving across the bridge to get to Lydia's Tavern...

3. "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones

This song is so romantic to me. It reminds me of what I hope for with JJ.

4. "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor

My father used to play his guitar and sing this song to me and my brother as children. We also used to travel a lot as a family, in the car. These are the lines that make me think so strongly of Dad and our car-time:
There's a song that they sing when they take to the highway,
a song that they sing when they take to the sea.
There's a song that they sing of their home in the sky.
Maybe you can believe it if it helps you to sleep,
but singing works just fine for me...

I have more songs, and they are coming. But for now, this is what I have, because I am tired and want to relax.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Les chants sont comme les signaux des différents moments de notre vie . Nous aimons ceux qui nous font vibrer et qui sont bien en résonnance avec notre état d ' âme .
Amitié à toi Emily
Michel ( de Xanga )

February 05, 2006 1:13 AM  
Blogger yellojkt said...

trusty tagged me with this too. I'm going to have to hunt down that Beth Orton song. I really like her.

February 05, 2006 9:37 AM  
Blogger trusty getto said...

Great list, Emily. Thanks for doing the meme !

February 06, 2006 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home