Thursday, February 09, 2006

student of the day

so, I have one hilarious 6th grader, J. He's the quintessential nerdy white boy, but he has a few talents and moments that knock my socks off.

He kept asking me if he could sing "I Believe I Can Fly" for me. I hate that song. I lived in Philly for 2 years, one of which the Iggles went to the super-bore. During super-bore season, that song was INCESSANT on the radio. I don't care if I ever hear it again.

But.

he wanted to sing it, so I let him.

That boy's got SOUL!!!
Holy shit, can he sing!!!

Funny kid. He also talks back by accident. It's hysterical. The other day (when he sang the Iggles song for me), he also said this,
"Miss B-, if you never do ANYTHING else a student says, promise me this: NEVER let anyone that you teach EVER sing the Concert Etiquette Rap. It's AWFUL!"

He was serious, and it was adorable.

When he plays the piano, he's still playing only one note at a time, but he sways around like Van Cliburn.

He also has told me that I should quit my job and become a comedian, because people would laugh.

But today took the cake. Somehow we started with a conversation about getting a grand piano for the chorus room (he wants us to have one, and I agree, but it'll never happen in these here parts!), and it ended up with a discussion about my house. I know that my house used to be a funeral home, but I also know that my apartment in the house was not the funeral parlor part of the house. But that grossed J out a lot. I told him I liked the place anyway, and he said (very loudly),

"But Miss B-, you live where dead people used to live!"

dead people. used to live.
'nuff said.

I love you, kid.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

*BIG smiles* I love it.

I should remember to share that story with Suzane and crew next time I see them ... they'd get a kick out of it. :)

*hugs* I love you, lady - and miss you, too. Hope we can catch up soon!

February 09, 2006 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home